What does the project stand for?
- Soil protection
- Detection of microplastics in soils
- Alternative mulch films for agriculture
- Life cycle assessment of biodegradable and conventional mulch films
What are the objectives of the project?
- Estimation of the extent to which agricultural soils are contaminated by plastics.
- Development of a measuring method to determine concentration, particle size, types and shapes of different polymers in soil ecosystems.
- Investigate the effects of plastics on organisms, soil function, drainage systems and adjacent waters.
- Comparison of existing national and international threshold values for plastic materials in soils.
- Recommendation of a threshold value for plastics in soils under consideration of soil protection as well as national and international legislation.
- Recommendation on how plastic emissions from mulch films in soils can be reduced.
- Recommendation on how mulch film plastics can be recycled as a valuable resource as part of a circular plastics economy.